The Béthanie was completed in 1875 by the Society of Foreign Mission (Société des Missions Étrangères) as their first sanatorium in the East Asia for sick missionaries. The premises was closed in 1974 and was sold to Hongkong Land. The premises was subsequently taken over by the Government. It was then leased to the University of Hong Kong from 1978 to 1997. In 2002, the Government decided to restore and lease the Béthanie together with the adjacent Old Dairy Farm Cowshed Building (Grade 2 historic building) to The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts (HKAPA) for conversion into the Academy’s second campus. The conversion was completed in 2006 and the Béthanie has served as the School of Film and Television of HKAPA since then.
In 2013, the Government announced that the Antiquities Authority declared the Béthanie as a monument under the Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance. The Béthanie was also awarded an Honorable Mention at the 2008 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Cultural Heritage Awards.
139 Pokfulam Road