Symposium on Ikat Textiles - "Ties That Bind (Past, Present and Future)"
Image Courtesy of the artist and The Brunei Gallery
The exhibition celebrates the rich legacy of Ikat, an age old textile technique stretching across the continents of the world. This unique collection brings together an array of some of the priceless pieces of “IKAT” with live demonstrations by master weavers, a Symposium, film screenings and a book display. This program reflects the World Crafts Council’s global commitment to nurture, promote and revive precious indigenous craft skills. It also serves to connect the skilled practitioners from across these diverse regions to contemporary society and promote greater awareness of the hand-woven tradition and its innovation.
The exhibition includes over 200 items of unique Ikat textile from regions such as;
Asia-Pacific (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, India, China, Japan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan), Latin America, the Middle East (Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Iran and Yemen), West Africa and Europe (Spain, Italy).
Saturday 14th May 2016 (9.00-5.00pm)
· Rohit and Rahul Salvi- PatanPatola- double ikat textiles
· DrVandanaBandhari- Indian ikat textiles in Fashion
· DrAnuchaThirakanont- The Royal Revival of Mudmee- Ikat Textiles of Thailand
· MeechaiTaesujariya&CharoenpoomeStid- Unique brocade ikat textiles of Baan Kamphun, UbonRatchathani, Thailand
· EdricOng- Reviving the Ibanikat textile traditions of Sarawak, Malaysia
· Dr. Duncan Clarke- West African Ikat textiles
· Carmen Orellana& Pedro Cordero- The Ikat Tradition in Ecuador
Sunday 15th May 2016 (9.00-5.00pm)
· Myra Widiono& Susi Mohamed- ‘UlapDoyo’ fibreikat textiles of Kalimantan Indonesia
· MerdiSihombing- UlosIkat Textiles of Sumatra- Tradition and Innovation
· EuisSaedah- Governmental Support for Indonesian Ikat Weaving Communities
· Claude Delmas- Contemporary Ikat Textile Weaving in Britain
· Ali Istalifi- Central Asian Ikat Textiles
· Hilary Simon- Ikat ‘Rebozo’ shawls of Mexico.
Venue: Brunei Gallery Lecture Theatre, Brunei Gallery Date: 14 - 15 May 2016 Opening hours: 14 May, 09: 00AM ; 15 May, 17: 00 PM
For more information, please visit: