top of page

University Museum and Art Gallery,

University of Hong Kong


The University Museum and Art Gallery (UMAG) of the University of Hong Kong was founded in 1953 as the Fung Ping Shan Museum.  Originally  established  as  the  Fung  Ping  Shan Library of Chinese language publications in 1932 in honour of its benefactor,  the  building  became  a  museum  dedicated  to collecting   Chinese   art   when   the   University's   libraries consolidated.  The museum was renamed the UMAG in 1994 shortly before its new wing was opened to the public in 1996. It is the oldest continuously-operated museum in Hong Kong and has  over  the  past  sixty  years  built  up  a  diverse  collection of ceramics and bronzes dating from the Neolithic period (c. 7000-c.  2100  BC)  to  the  Qing  dynasty  (1644–1911),  as  well  as traditional and modern paintings from the Ming dynasty (1368-1644) to the 21st century.


Chief amongst the collections are the Museum's ceramics, which show the extraordinary achievements of Chinese potters from Neolithic period painted pottery jars, to the decorative porcelains of the Qing dynasty. From 10 June 2015, UMAG will re-display its largest known collection of Mongol period (Yuan dynasty 1271 – 1368) Nestorian crosses in the world.


In addition to these permanent collections, the UMAG regularly hosts exhibitions of contemporary and ancient Chinese and Western art and history. The Museum was originally established as a teaching museum and has maintained this commitment to the University to this day through the teaching of Chinese art and museum studies and by encouraging students and school pupils to broaden their education through the arts.


Image courtesy of © University Museum and Art Gallery, HKU 



90 Bonham Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong



(852) 2241 5500





bottom of page